When It’s All Out of My Hands


When people or situations are totally out of our control, we find ourselves in a place where faith and fear collide. Fear of the unknown. Fear of Failure. Fear for our family. Fear of our finances.

Lurking right below the surface of all things that are out of our control is fear. Fear cripples our thoughts and can become all-consuming. Fear spreads rapidly when we’re exhausted and multiplies when we allow our imagination to run wild. The ‘What If’s’ in life steer us toward the fight or flight syndrome with fear hanging over us like an ominous cloud. The pendulum of faith and fear swings wildly back and forth until we slowly open our hands and surrender the fear of what is already in His hands.

One fear of mine that can bring on some of my most anxious moments is the fear of facing my ‘frenemies.’ You know, those people – family or friends – that we struggle to get along with. They are part friend and part enemy. They may be family, a neighbor or even a fellow believer. For whatever reason, there is unresolved conflict and bad blood.

Even after I’ve come to terms with the fact that a particular 'frenemy' situation is out of my control, I struggle. Driving by their house makes my stomach lurch. Passing them on the road causes all joy to drain from my body. Over time, I’ve learned to pray for 'my enemies' and to be okay with attending community events and even church events with them. The more we come into contact with each other - and the more I pray for them - the less shocking it is to my system when we cross paths.

God is gracious. God’s in control. ‘Yes, Lord! I give it back to you.’

Oh, the comfort and peace that can be found when we release our grip and rest in the promises of Scripture. “The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged! So we say with confidence, ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" (Deuteronomy 3:18, Hebrews 13:6)

‘Be near to them, Lord. Provide for their needs and bless them. Help them to draw closer to you and protect their family.’

The comfort comes. The fear is gone. Satan is put at bay, and the love of God brings healing into my soul. But, then the real test comes. I find myself standing one-on-one with my ‘frenemy.’ Will we speak? Should we speak? “Hello,” I say. (And she in return.) We wait in the check-out line. (Should I say more, Lord? Will she say more?) The words of Romans 12:18 run through my mind – “If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.” Sometimes the best way to live at peace with others is just to be still and peace-filled. It was a God-moment. No fear, no panic, no nausea. What did I feel? 

Compassion.

God’s love in me – a miracle. My enemy is no longer my ‘frenemy.’ God has taken the fear from my heart, and I can find sweet surrender in knowing that it’s totally okay when things are out of my control. He’s got this, and He’s got you too!

Last week, I heard the song, “I Will Fear No More” by The Afters for the first time. Then when I was looking for it online, I found another song that is new to me. The titles are close and the message is similar, but it is entitled “Fear No More” by Building 429. The lyrics in both songs are life-changing and refreshing to both mind and heart. Here’s just a few phrases to bring a fresh whisper of love and peace into your soul from the One who has it all under control!

Every anxious thought that steals my breath
It's a heavy weight upon my chest

As I lie awake and wonder what the future will hold.
Help me to remember that You're in control.
You are greater than the battle raging in my mind. 
I will trust You, Lord.

You're my courage when I worry in the dead of night
You're my strength 'cause I'm not strong enough to win this fight

You are greater than the battle raging in my mind. I will trust You, Lord
I will fear no more.

~~~

I'm wishing I could see the finish line
Where it ends, where it lands
Guess I lost my vision when the pain set in
Can I believe when I don't see?
Can I really let it be out of my hands?

This isn't what I'd choose
But it's where I'm finding You.

When I'm broken and undone
Your mercy's just begun
You overcome my doubt
Your hands are reaching out
You hold me through the storm
And I will fear no more.

~~

You are not alone! Give your fears up to the Almighty One!


“I Will Fear No More” by The Afters - https://www.youtube.com › watch › v=wMmmbJlWhtk
“Fear No More” by Building 429 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cJFAGw3OaQ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?