Is Jesus Just One More god That We Serve?


I love traveling, and on this particular day it seemed as if we’d been traveling for hours. Peering out the bus window, I caught glimpses of a security fence and yellow warning signs that screamed of danger - and hidden land mines! We’d only been in Israel a few days, but it all was starting to feel really normal. Crazy as it might sound, it was just as common to see a camel at a gas station as it was to see an armed soldier. We even looked down into Syria one day, standing atop of the Golan Heights. That was totally surreal! Israel, it’s a land of vast beauty and a land that is in constant turmoil.

Our next stop was filled with beautiful greenery and flowers. It was gorgeous, especially since it was in such stark contrast to the miles of desert we’d just passed through. We walked down a little pathway and found a rushing stream that glistened in the sunlight. It was so inviting, in fact, that I just had to take a shoe off and dip my foot into the water. It was super cold, but oh so refreshing!

Our tour guide gathered us together by a rock wall, and he explained the history surrounding this place called Caesarea Philippi. Then, one of the pastors in our group read a story from the Book of Matthew that took place somewhere nearby. I soon realized that what seemed like a little ‘side trip’ between Jesus and his disciples was much more significant that I’d ever imagined. The question that Jesus asked his disciples that day long ago - “Who do you say that I am?” - went much deeper. It was a defining moment in the lives of Jesus’ disciples and it was now a defining moment in my heart as well.

This place, Caesarea Philippi, is deceiving in its beauty because right beyond the trees there are stark reminders of death and destruction. This place was used for pagan worship, and to this day there are multiple niches still visible that had been carved into the rock wall centuries ago. Many were 3-4 feet high with arched roofs. The bottom of each niche was flat, allowing worshippers of Baal, Pan and other gods to place their offerings or idol inside.

It all became crystal clear to me. No wonder Jesus brought his disciples here. What might have seemed like a random rest stop, to both the disciples and to our tour group, now had huge significance. Did the disciples cringe at the idea of standing near the sight of such pagan worship and destruction? Should we, even thousands of years later, even be standing so near? This is the place where people declared their allegiance to their god - their false gods.

As we walked closer to examine the old temple sight my mind began to swirl. This is incredible and horrifying all at the same time. My head says, I have nothing to fear because Jesus is my God, the Son of the Living God. 

But, then I had to ask myself... 

“What does my life really reflect?" and "Where are my priorities today?"
"Have I carved out a niche of idolatry in my heart and life?" 
"Have I allowed Jesus to be just one more god in my life?”

Matthew 16 tells the story that Jesus was speaking to all of his disciples that day. His first question was "Who do people say that the Son of Man is." The second, "But what about you? Who do you say I am?" I have to wonder what was happening in the minds of the other disciples. Was Peter just quicker to respond? Were the other disciples ready to speak up and confess that Jesus was the Son of God? If I would have been among the disciples that day, would I have had the courage (and not hesitated) to speak up and say "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." just like Peter did? 

Or, what if God disclosed to each of us today, the idols that have found a home in the "niche" of our heart's wall. What would we see? Will we only see Jesus or have other gods crowded into His space? Or, maybe the better question is: Are we willing to even look? Psalm 139:23-24 encourages us to ask God to search our hearts and to show us any offenses that we have gotten ourselves entangled with. Is it time to ask the one true and Living God who we are truly serving today?


Oh, Jesus! Today, I proclaim you as The Christ, the Son of the Living God. Thank you for allowing me to live in the refreshment of your Living Water and in the richness of your saving grace. Thank you for protecting me from the dangers and land mines of our world. Show me any gods that I have allowed to gain a hold over my life. Purify my heart and mind. Give me the courage to speak your name without hesitancy. To follow you. Today, Lord, I acknowledge once again that You alone are my Savior, and that You alone have a rightful home in my heart, mind and spirit. Help me to follow You more closely each day and to rely on You alone for all that I need. Thank you, Jesus, for giving me a faith to trust in You alone! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?