Something Just Doesn’t Feel Right


Have you ever had one of those days when things seemed a bit off? You get dressed for the day, and something feels weirdly tight or twisted. Your neckline seems like it is hanging funny or your hemline seems a bit funky. Something is off. You look in the mirror multiple times. Does everything look alright? From the front. Back view. Side view. Hmmm. What is it?

Well, for me it was my jeans. They just felt weird. I didn’t think too much of it since I had been used to wearing shorts all summer, and I hadn’t put on a pair of jeans for weeks. “I guess it just feels funny,” I thought. "It’ll probably take a little while to get used to wearing jeans again. I always hate it when I have to switch to closed-toed shoes. Makes me feel claustrophobic for at least a week!” Still having no clue as to the cause of my discomfort, I went about my day. 

It was my day off, so I was catching up on some things out-of-doors. As I squatted down to tend the flower beds, I got that funny feeling again. “These jeans sure do feel odd. I must have gained some weight, but they still buttoned up fine.” I yanked at my jeans and kept pulling weeds. Once I had finished, I stood up and resettled my jeans again. “This is just weird. They seem a little short too. But, then again, I did have a pair or two that I could only wear with flats. Oh well.” On I went with my list of activities.

After a full day, I was glad it was finally time to get out of these crazy jeans. And, that’s when I saw it. “No wonder these felt weird!” Have you guessed yet? Any idea why something just wasn’t right with my jeans?

Well, if you guessed that I had on my husband’s jeans you would be CORRECT. 

How could I have done that? Well, we are close in size – at least with jeans, but boy are guy's jeans cut weird. He has no behind, and well…I do. He has shorter legs than I, but a longer torso. Thus, why the jeans were a bit short. We don’t even want to go into why I had to tug and tug to get those jeans to sit right on my hips. Oh my!

I’m sure you’ve had a day like that too. Maybe you’ve had a trail of toilet paper following you, or a skirt that got caught in your waist band or…. The list could go on, and I won’t embarrass you. (But, feel free to share if you’d like!)

Oh, the craziness.

But, that strange sense that “something isn’t quite right” can happen in all kinds of places in our lives. As my girls were growing up – and even now as young mothers – I’ve reminded them more times than I can remember – “If it doesn’t make sense, there has got to be more to the story.” Often we only get part of a story, and even in the times we’ve heard both sides they often don’t mesh together perfectly. So, what's the truth? How can we make wise choices if we don’t know what’s what?

Well, sometimes we just have to pray and wait it out. God knows the truth, and often we really don’t have to. What we do need to know is that “something isn’t quite right,” and that means it is best to watch, wait and pray. Give the benefit of the doubt, and ask God to show you the 'rest of the story' in His timing - and if it is His will.

We’re not God, but it is helpful to know what is going on in circumstances at home and at church. Who can we trust? When we have that sense that something doesn’t seem quite right, should we trust it? Or, are we just being paranoid?

Seeking God’s help and having patience is the best way to deal with situations that just don’t seem quite right. I believe God will honor our prayers asking for discernment and wisdom. Yes, you can gain wisdom – just by asking. James 1:5 encourages us that “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.” (and this passage was actually written to those who were experiencing some sort of trial!) Do you believe that God is able to give you wisdom? It really isn't just for others. All you have to do is ask, believe and walk with Him. 

On the opposite side of the spectrum is a principle found in Numbers 32:23. It says “But if you fail to do this, you will be sinning against the Lord; and you may be sure that your sin will find you out.” In this passage, Moses was reminding his people that they needed to follow God’s instructions, and if they didn’t their sins would be made known. Some how, some way. Just like so many other stories in the Bible (Ananias and Sapphira are a key example in Acts 5), sooner or later the truth comes to the surface.

So, if you’ve been wondering lately about something that just doesn’t seem right, have you taken it to the One who knows all about it? If it doesn’t make sense, there is more to learn or there is more to watch, wait and pray about. God will reveal what needs to be revealed. We can trust Him – even if we’re not sure we can trust others.

“The wonderful thing about praying is that you leave a world of not being able to do something, and enter God’s realm where everything is possible. He specializes in the impossible. Nothing is too great for His almighty power. Nothing is too small for His love.” –Corrie Ten Boom  




yokemates.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?