Living Above and Beyond Self-Doubt


When a new project has been set before us, why do we often slip into the default mode of insecurity and self-doubt? Feelings of hesitancy and uncertainty make sense when the challenge is not of our own doing or creative imaginings. But, why do we become timid and self-focused when we are actually moving toward our dreams and goals? It's crazy!

That’s where my mind was earlier this week. I’d had a nudge from God. I’d done all the homework. I’d pondered and prayed about it. I’d even talked to the boss and cleared it with the supervisor. Both gave me their blessings. And then, I simply froze. 

Should I really keep going, or am I simply dreaming? Who do I think I am trying to put this together? What if it doesn’t work, and I get no positive response?

…and then I read this quote from Stephanie Shouse

“Have you ever felt like you were not good enough to do what God was calling you to do? Stepping out to face a challenge often brings out our old fears and insecurities. We worry, we fret, and we hold back because of fear. That’s when we need an encourager. An encourager is not just someone who says you are good enough, smart enough, and - people like you! No an encourager comes alongside you, speaks truth and turns your attention to God.”

Wow!

In just the few moments it took to read that paragraph, God infused me with a much needed dose of encouragement. I’ve never met Stephanie, but God used her words to prompt me (and prod me!) to keep moving forward on the path that He had put before me. I was free to live above and beyond my self-doubt, insecurity and fear. Plus, I was reminded of the powerful influence each of us can have if we reach out to others with Godly, life-changing encouragement.

1. An encourager comes along side of you.
2. An encourager speaks truth.
3. An encourager turns your attention to God.

Self-doubt has no place in this formula. Getting my focus off of self and onto God’s plan was the truth that I needed to hear. I may not have had a real-life friend sitting next to me cheering me on, but these words were so much more valuable. My heart and mind were now free to dream again and pursue the challenge that God had put before me – trusting Him for the outcome.

…but before I finished my reading, Stephanie shared these wise words.

“Isn’t that what the Holy Spirit does for us? He comes alongside us, reminding us of God’s power at work within our lives to fulfill His whole purpose for us. What an encouragement!”

With the Holy Spirit as our true Comforter and source of encouragement, there is no room in our lives for self-doubt and fear. Whatever the outcome of our personal goals or our faith-stretching dreams, God is just waiting for us to surrender our insecurities into His care.

He will see us through what He has called us to do!

“You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal.” Isaiah 26:3-4

Without a doubt, we can trust our Lord to see us through!

--------

Additional Resource - www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/if-he-calls-you-he-will-equip-you/

Note: Stephanie Shouse is a contributor for “Lead Strong,” A Leading & Loving It Bible Study



yokemates.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?