I've Got Your Back!


As I walked down the long hallway, my eyes were drawn to the quotes hanging prominently on the wall. I grabbed my camera and started snapping pictures of these wise words of counsel and witness of God’s grace. But, then I read this statement and it stopped me in my tracks.

Wife - “God has given you the gift of an evangelist. I’ll back you….you travel and preach.”

Husband - “She urged me to go.”

(Wow! I wonder if I could have had the courage to say that to my husband – and really mean it?)

Husband – “I’d come home, and she had everything so organized and so calmed down that they all (the children) seemed to love me. But that was because she taught them to.”

(That’s a very insightful perspective on life and marriage, I thought.)

“She taught them to.” Those words show the true character of this dedicated wife and mother. Here she was with several children and a husband that traveled for a living. She was basically living as a single parent, but she was blessed with the long-distance support of her husband.  

What if this mother would have allowed herself to become embittered by her absent husband? What would she have taught her children by her behavior and attitude? What life lesson would they have learned from her pain? But, thankfully, that wasn’t her story.

Instead, this wise young mother chose to accept and embrace the will of God for and in their lives. She saw the spiritual gift that God had given her husband and was willing to be an active participant in that plan. No doubt God gave her just the right spiritual gifts to complement her personal life and the needs of her children as well.

At some point she made the conscious choice to be a team player, a helpmeet, a cheerleader, a colleague, a friend and a committed wife. She chose to pass on the gift of love to her children, the gift of purpose, the reality of the will of God and the witness of a faithful servant. She taught them to love their father – the one on earth and the One in heaven.

Who was this woman? Her name was Ruth.

Another quote found on the wall said this, “Ruth and I were called by God as a team.”

You might have guessed it by now. This Ruth I’m speaking of was Ruth Graham. Daughter of missionaries. Mother of five children – three girls and two boys. Grandmother to many. Wife of one. She was an amazing lady and one who had many accomplishments to her name. But, there is one testimony of her life that really touched my heart. It is not the typical accolade given to honor someone, but something my heart desires.

Billy Graham is quoted as making this statement about his wife.

“I have been asked the question, ‘Who do you go to for counsel, for spiritual guidance?’ My answer: my wife, Ruth. She is the only one I completely confide in. She is a great student of the Bible. Her life is ruled by the Bible more than any person I’ve ever known. That’s her rule book, her compass. Her disposition is the same all the time – very sweet and very gracious and very charming. When it comes to spiritual things, my wife has had the greatest influence on my life.’”

That quote is packed full of so many things I want to aspire to –
  • A great student of the Bible
  • Very sweet, gracious and charming
  • Her life is ruled by the Bible
  • The Bible is her compass

Oh, that I might continue to grow in my faith and carry a consistent disposition known to others as sweet and gracious. (I’m not sure I have any hope of being charming, but that’s ok!) To be known as one who loves the Word of God, studies it and allows it to be their compass and guide – what a wonderful testimony to carry.

Dear Lord,
Help me to be the helpmeet You created and intended me to be for my husband. Give me wisdom and insight to see all that You have created him to be. May I willingly sacrifice my selfish desires so that we can be a stronger team together. Increase my desire to study and live by Your Word. Open my eyes to Your truths, Your desires and dreams for our marriage and our family. Grant me a willing spirit to follow Your ways and live a positive witness to all those I love and live with. Bring peace on our family and in our marriage. Guard and protect each of us when we are apart. May Your favor rest on our household and may You show me how to teach my children and grandchildren to love their human father, and their Heavenly Father, in an ever-increasing measure. For Your glory and honor, Lord. 

May we each be faithful servants, Lord. Ones who have a sweet and positive influence on our husband's lives each and every day. With Your grace and in Your power -
Amen.  




yokemates.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?