The Personal Phases of Reopening


While our country begins the various phases of reopening, I have found that I too must face the reality of reopening. Reopening my time, my expectations, my freedoms, my energy and my heart. Without realizing it, I have been on autopilot for the past weeks of the pandemic. Not unlike life before COVID19, I simply did what needed to get done when it needed to get done. My list seems to be never ending, and I have no doubt that yours is too.

The lists that represent each of our individual lives vary dramatically depending on our personal circumstances, our states, our homes, our jobs and our family’s dynamics. For some, the pace has slowed down a bit since mid-March. For others, the pace is more hectic than ever. And yet, we have all shared many similarities over these weeks – face masks, hand sanitizer, social distancing and toilet paper shortages!

As each state eases restrictions, the stress of our circumstances will ease a bit as well. Or, will it? Any time a new normal becomes routine, change is inevitable. Change can either bring us relief or restlessness. Now what? Do I relax, take on a new project, get a second job or catch up on sleep? What is normal - now?

We can learn from each other and gain great insight by watching how our neighbors and long-distance friends deal with their particular set of circumstances. But, when all is said and done, each of us will have to figure out what works best in our personal lives, our work circumstances, our kid’s school situations and in our churches and ministries. Just one example that I’ve been intrigued to witness is that some individuals love what the virtual world has to offer, and they have found Zoom, Google Hangouts and Facetime to be real assets for work and personal connections during recent weeks. Others dread the next online meeting that is scheduled on their calendar. It is a duty to endure, not a time of joy or refreshment. We are all wired differently and deal with life's stressors in our own unique ways.

In fact, I was recently reminded of an article I wrote years ago entitled “Surviving Sundays.” The contents of that article would not have much in common to what my recent Sunday mornings – or Saturday nights – have looked like. My biggest stressor has not been searching for that one lost shoe, detangling a daughter's hair or even getting to church on time. Instead, it has been praying (and desperately hoping) that the pre-recorded video sermon will upload correctly to my computer, then to an online platform - all while 'processing' in time for the link to go live before 6 am each Sunday morning.

Yes, that real-life scenario does mean that I’ve taken on some tech duties during the season of COVID19 to keep my husband’s life a bit simpler. I’m not a professional in this arena (by any stretch of the imagination), but we did figure out a system that worked for us in a crunch. He has the freedom to record his sermon on his timeline, and I can easily help to set up the equipment for him. Editing the various video clips for each presentation and uploading the finished video to an online platform has actually gone pretty smoothly - even while working with non-professional audio/video equipment. What’s crazy is that the computer I previously hated, a refurbished back-up that I rarely used, has been the perfect match for what we have been doing. (Why am I always amazed when God prepares things ahead of time for us – and in the most unlikely ways?!)

While each of our 'new normal' stressors have likely minimized at bit as each week passed by, we'll all soon face new challenges and stressors as restrictions lift. As we begin to ease back into the reality of our communities and churches reopening, we will need to consider our personal phases of reopening. 
  • Are you ready for Sunday stressors to return? (After all, church in PJs and slippers is rather comfy!)
  • Are you ready to sacrifice your quiet space of worship at home or in a small group environment?
  • Are you ready to get other people’s opinions on life and ministry in this season of life? (Personally, I’ve been pretty insulated since I’ve spent most of my time with little people.)
  • Are you ready to share your husband again? (Or, perhaps you are counting the days!)
  • Are you ready to watch the clock to be on time for church? (Live-streaming and pre-recorded services are pretty forgiving!)

If we can take a moment to consider how these next phases of reopening will affect our personal lives, we will hopefully be better equipped to not be rattled by them. Sunday mornings have been pretty quiet and cozy at my house (once I knew the sermon was live!). Preparing myself to face the clock, the crowd and public opinion, however, can seem a bit overwhelming to me at times. Yet, I so look forward to seeing the smiling eyes (if not the unmasked faces) of those in our church family.

My sister reminded me of that precious gift after I sent her a family picture on Mother’s Day. Her first response was “I love seeing all those smiling faces!” She works in healthcare and has definitely lived the reality of face masks nearly 24/7. Her excited response made me realize that I’d taken that joy for granted since my face-masking has been pretty limited. Even if masking continues on in the weeks to come, to see the eyes of those we love and care for is a precious gift! To hear their voices, their laughter, their praises raised to our Savior - that is a phase of reopening that I am truly looking forward to!

I wonder what else God has waiting for each of us as we begin the process of reopening our lives to another new normal?

Dear Heavenly Father,
Just as You have been faithfully working among us throughout this pandemic, we ask for Your continued presence as we begin to enter into a new phase of the unknown. Help us to hold onto You with anticipation and hope which will lessen any doubt or fears that are lurking in the corners of our minds. Teach us to be mindful, careful and observant in all we do to care for ourselves and our family. Yet, give us open hearts to reach out to others with Your love, grace and sincere care. Give us patience as we serve and sacrifice self for the cause of Christ. Give us a glimpse into Your unconditional mercy and love as we bring praises before You – trusting You to guide our steps each and every day. Thank you, Lord, for being the One in whom we can rely on for all phases of our lives – now and in eternity. We praise You, O God Almighty!

May our faithful and holy God continue to do a good work in you and through you in the days ahead. May you open your heart to the One who promises to guide your steps and give you eyes to see what He is calling you to do!

Ephesians 1:16-19 - “I couldn’t stop thanking God for you - every time I prayed, I’d think of you and give thanks. But I do more than thank. I ask - ask the God of our Master, Jesus Christ, the God of glory - to make you intelligent and discerning in knowing him personally, your eyes focused and clear, so that you can see exactly what it is he is calling you to do, grasp the immensity of this glorious way of life he has for his followers, oh, the utter extravagance of his work in us who trust him—endless energy, boundless strength!” Ephesians 1:16-19

In trusting Him, may we each be renewed (and reopened) with endless energy and boundless strength!

------------------

yokemates.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?