The (Answered) Prayers of a Pastor’s Wife


As I stood in the hallway, I peeked through the crack in the sanctuary doors. My husband. My pastor. He was created to preach! I never doubted the gift that God had given my husband, but the reality of that gift rushed over me that day. He needs to preach God’s Word! He was created to be a preacher! A new prayer formed in my heart that day. It was based off of something I had just read in a study on the Book of Acts. In fact, it is found in the last verse of the book. Paul is under house arrest, but God keeps providing him with opportunities to preach. The verse says, “[For two years] he proclaimed the kingdom of God and taught about the Lord Jesus Christ—with all boldness and without hindrance!” 
(Acts 28:31)

Since that day, over five years ago, that verse has been my heart-cry for my husband. Amazingly, I have seen that prayer answered over and over again. To preach with boldness and without hindrance can be a challenge in so many ways. Not because our husbands are unwilling (well, maybe some days), but more because of exhaustion, dissention in the church or simply a lack of ‘inspiration.’ Faithfulness to the Gospel is what our relationship with Jesus is all about no matter what title we carry. But, oh, how we must never forget to pray for our pastor/husbands – that God will give them His Words to share with the congregation, the perseverance to be faithful in their study and the strength and courage to speak God’s Word “with all boldness and without hindrance!”

When we come together each week in corporate worship, the focus of our time spent together must be God-centered which ultimately means that it will encompass the proclamation and teaching of God’s Word. Preaching reveals God’s character and God’s redemptive plan for all of mankind as does a well written hymn or modern day song of worship. As we prepare for worship each week, we need to pray that those who plan our worship services follow the instructions of Paul as he encouraged Timothy to “…devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching…be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them.” (1 Timothy 4:13-15a) The Word of God is the key component in which we grow in our personal faith and as we introduce others to our Almighty Living God. Romans 10:17 tells us that “faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.”

But, what about the Old Testament? Do we really need to study that too? Some may say that the Old Testament is no longer of consequence since we are living under the new covenant, but that is short-sighted. The Old Testament gives us the foundation on which the New Testament is framed. Jesus Christ is the fulfillment of the promised Messiah of the Old Testament. The more the Body of Christ understands all the different ways in which God’s Word is intertwined in its full message, the more we will all be able to understand the heart of God and the lengths of which He has gone to bring us into an everlasting relationship with Him. “For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.” (Romans 15:4) Isn’t it amazing to think that what was written in the past “was written to teach us,” and why was it given? So that “we might have hope”!

We have the answer that can give all mankind hope! Unfortunately, the world as a whole no longer views God’s Word as truth. This shouldn’t come as a surprise to us or make us panic. Even Paul prophesied that “the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.” (2 Timothy 4:3-4) I have no idea how many times this cycle has come about, but I have no doubt that we are not the only generation or culture that has witnessed a society that only wants to listen to what they want to hear.
              
That opposition, however, should never stop us from pursuing the proclamation of the Word of God. We must embolden and pray for our pastor/husbands to “Preach the Word; [to] be prepared in season and out of season; [to] correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.” (2 Timothy 4:2) That verse is full of all kinds of things we can pray for - especially great patience and to carefully handle the Word of God. Warren Wiersbe, a world-renowned pastor and author, shares these words about God’s workings in the proclamation of His Word: “When preaching is an act of worship, the listener’s heart is stirred by the vision of God, and the Spirit of God says far more to the hearer than what the minister declares from the pulpit. When preaching is an act of worship, the outline is to the text what a prism is to a shaft of sunlight: it breaks it up so that its beauty and wonder are clearly seen.” In other words, our husband's teaching opens up another opportunity for the Holy Spirit to work in the lives of those we love and serve each and every week!

A pastor who faithfully presents the Scriptures to the body of gathered believers is to be commended. He may not be liked. He may even face slander, and that’s okay. Not everybody liked Jesus, and He definitely faced opposition and slander while on earth! 

While considering the importance of proclaiming the Word of God, I have to admit that I have not prayed for my husband as I should. I have moments when I pray diligently for him, but they are fleeting in the scheme of life – and are often on Sunday mornings during the worship hour. Why do I wait to pray for Him until it is time for Him to present the message - or maybe when I know he is preparing the sermon earlier in the week? 

He is only a man, but he was called to preach God’s Word. I may only be his wife, but I’ve been blessed to be his 'helpmeet' in life. I'd say it’s about time for me to get more earnest in my prayers again. Will you join me, especially as we head closer and closer to Easter?

Dear Heavenly Father,
Forgive me for my unfaithfulness. Forgive me for my lack of prayer. Renew a deeper sense of purpose and a new heart for prayer within me. Nudge me, remind me, speak to me throughout my days to pray for my husband. To pray not only for our home life, our marriage, our kids, his safety and his health, but for his heart as he prepares to share Your Word each Sunday. Your truth. Your hope. May he proclaim Your Word “boldly and unhindered” so that lives will be changed through the work of Your Holy Spirit. May our times of worship be filled with Your Word in song, in prayer and through each and every sermon that is shared. Bless our churches with unity, love and a thirst for Your Word. Thank you, Father, for hearing our prayers.
In Jesus’ name,
Amen.

May God bless you with an even greater heart for prayer and an ever-increasing depth of love for your husband today and in the days ahead!

“For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.” (Hebrews 4:12)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?