How Many People Does It Take…


We all know that it takes many volunteers to carry on the work of ministry each Sunday morning and throughout the week. Depending on the size of your church that number might be in the double digits, the hundreds or beyond. Each person is valuable to the process. When someone is missing, it is usually pretty noticeable – at least to someone.

That someone is the one that has to fill in the gap. 

Sometimes I fill gaps gladly. At other times, my reaction is almost an auto-pilot response. Either way is pretty stress free. A minute or two of juggling, and I can jump in and help out. (We won't focus on the times when my initial reaction is less than stellar...at least not now.) 

This past Sunday, I got an SOS call about 20 minutes before I would normally head to church. However, I didn't have to panic! On this particular morning, I was planning to get to church early so that I wouldn’t have to scramble to get a few extra things done for Sunday School. Thankfully, God prepared me! When the frantic call came to fill in for a volunteer that was MIA, I was able to say. “I’ll be there in five.” What a huge blessing to me and to those who needed the extra hand to get things set up for the worship hour.

Fully expecting to have nothing ready upon my arrival, I was very surprised to find another volunteer had stepped in to help out until I arrived. I relieved them, thanked them and settled in. Within five minutes, another volunteer stopped by. Seeing me in an unusual place of ministry on a Sunday morning, they were quick to say “Do you want me to take over?” Since I still hadn’t had the opportunity to take care of my extra preparations for Sunday School, I gladly agreed!

On I went, but first I needed to stop and apologize to the lady who had wanted to talk to me when I got to the church. I had put her off trying to get to my station of duty. Thankfully, she was not offended and filled me in on what she had wanted to tell me. Whew! About that time, I turned around and saw the MIA volunteer enter the church – now about 45 minutes late. But, who’s counting, right?

With a grin, I breathed a prayer of thanksgiving for all of God’s provisions.

1. He knew I needed to be ready early; I just didn’t know the real reason.
2. He provided someone to get things started before I arrived.
3. Then, He quickly provided another volunteer to cover for me so I could finish up my actual prep work.
4. Plus, He apparently helped the MIA volunteer to get back on track with her Sunday plans.

So, how many people did it take to fill this particular ministry on this particular Sunday?

1. The original overseer – who made the SOS call.
2. The volunteer who didn’t hesitate to ‘make it work’ until I could get there.
3. Myself
4. The one who stepped in to help me out when they saw a need they could fill.
5. The original volunteer.

Five people for what normally takes only one person. Wow! That’s crazy, but it is exciting too. On any given Sunday, I may (or may not) have noticed this volunteer faithfully serving. I may have even whispered a prayer of thanksgiving to God for her, or I may have taken the time to say “Thank you” to her for her gift of ministry. But, on this particular Sunday, my eyes were opened wider to see how God was meeting needs – both personally and in our churches. How?

1. God had prepared me to be ready to answer the call of distress.
2. God provided an immediate answer through a willing helper.
3. God used me to fill in a gap and keep the Sunday morning schedule on track.
4. God provided an escape for me to quickly move on to other things.
5. God used the original volunteer to continue on in ministry – even though her day had a rough start!

How many people it takes to keep the Body of Christ healthy and moving forward is mind-boggling. We may each have our different challenges, but I have no doubt that we all share one particular shortfall. Finding faithful volunteers. But, I know the One who can help fill any gap much better than any human being ever could. He may use one individual, or He may use five. Only He knows the best plan for the day and the hour.

I am so glad that I was in the right place at the right time. This way, God's way, I was invited to witness the hand of God showing me that He alone knows how many people it takes to….

May you also find yourself in the right place sometime this week. A place where you can serve others, love God and build up the Body of Christ!

“Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” Hebrews 10:24-25




yokemates.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?