Thankful For The Word of God

The Word of God is one of the most important and valuable strengths in our Christian life and witness. Within God's authoritative Word, we can search out the truths of God and further define our Christian faith. We can find our sense of purpose, direction in times of confusion and peace in the promised blessings and hope of eternity.  

The Bible is not outdated, nor will it ever be. The Bible always has something more to teach us and gives us insights into how we can successfully move through the challenges and blessings of life. The Word of God is not impressed by our human efforts or personal accomplishments. It keeps no record of how many copies we have on our shelves or have uploaded on our devices.  It is not impressed with how many times we've read it from cover to cover, but it does yearn to be hidden in our heart and to be a true catalyst for change in our lives. 

The inspired Word of God opens up our true motives and points to those areas that are in need of further examination. The Bible seeks to bring us closer to our Creator and open paths of restoration and peace in our relationships. Hebrews 4:12 reminds us that “the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” 

To have access to the Word of God every day, whether in written form or through technology, is a priceless resource and one that we must learn not to take for granted! 

Regretfully, the only weakness related to the Word of God is dependent only on whether or not we choose to open it regularly and/or if we allow it to refine our attitudes and behaviors because of it. There is no weakness in the Word itself, but only in our personal contact with it.

My prayer today is that I will come closer and closer to truthfully speaking the words of Job 23:11-12 which proclaim that...

"My feet have closely followed His steps; I have kept to His way without turning aside. I have not departed from the commands of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my daily bread." 

More than my daily bread? Wow! I have a long way to go, but by God's grace I'll continue to learn how to "follow closely" and to "treasure" God's Word more than that special treat I'm looking forward to or even the piece of toast than can comfort my aching stomach. 

How about you? Are you truly thankful for God's Word today? Do you treasure it and enjoy it as much or more than your favorites soon to be enjoyed at your Thanksgiving dinner? Sometimes, I'm afraid my hunger for the Word looks more like I am actually fasting, which is awful to admit. But, unless I face my reality, I most likely won't change my diet.  

May God give us each a deeper hunger for His Word. May we anticipate it daily and not simply see it as one more option to choose from within the menu of life! 

"The Bible is not an option; it is a necessity. You cannot grow spiritually strong without it." (Billy Graham)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?