The Best Gifts Are Often Unexpected!


Unexpected, but welcome.

The sleigh bells jingled as I carried another container of Christmas decorations back to the basement. I didn’t realize that the tub had any bells in it at all. So, I dug a little deeper, curious to see what I would find hidden below. And, there they were. Several little sleigh bells tucked away for safe keeping.

I loved this little unexpected surprise!

Sleigh bells have had a whole new significance to me in recent years. For some, the jingling of sleigh bells brings fond memories of horse-drawn sleigh rides on glistening snow. For others, their sound brings a vision of Santa and his sleigh cheering, “On Dasher, on Dancer, on Prancer and Vixen!” But, for me, the happy jingle of the bells goes much deeper.

Sleigh bells are now the sweet sound of God’s amazing grace and forgiveness in mine and my husband’s lives. We even keep a sleigh bell door hanger up all year round in our home. Those particular sleigh bells were an unexpected gift - and a peace offering, of sorts. Above and beyond the realization that there had been healing in this particular relationship, the sleigh bells serve as a constant reminder of answered prayer. A prayer that seemed almost too far ‘out there’ to pray, but God is in the business of doing the impossible. So, we prayed for reconciliation and peace, and God answered that prayer in a most unexpected way.

The jingle of the sleigh bells, as I prepared my home for Christmas this year, could have just been one more noise in the hustle and bustle of life. Their sweet sound could have even gone unheard by my ears - with so many other distractions swirling through my mind. Oh, but I’m so glad that God caught my attention with these sweet little bells. A smile instantly broke out on my face and a deep sense of amazement warmed my heart as I once again was reminded of God's faithfulness and goodness in our lives.

This Christmas, I pray that you, too, will hear God’s whisper of love as you go about your days. May you have a spirit of anticipation that is met with glimpses of the goodness of our Heavenly Father. May you be ready to hear Him and sense Him near. May God grant you open eyes to see Him fresh and new. May you expect the unexpected and be blessed by the gifts that He has in store for you. God loves you, and through that love - given in the life of Jesus - there truly is no greater gift!

“Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!” 2 Corinthians 9:15



yokemates.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?