Still So Much To Learn

I haven’t learned all I should, but I want to keep working toward that day when I will finally be all that Christ wants me to be – and saved me for.

I read those words in my devotions this morning and had to pause. Is that my heart’s desire? Do Paul’s words reflect my life’s pursuit?

The first part is easy – I haven’t learned all I should. That is without a doubt very true! The second part is where I had to take a moment to reflect. Is the desire of my life to work toward being all that God created me to be?

I definitely want to be in God’s will, and I definitely want to be the best me that I can be. The sticking point is whether or not I want to keep working toward that goal. While the temptation toward complacency or straight up laziness catches my attention from time to time, I do genuinely want to “press on.” I sincerely want to “be all that Christ wants me to be,” but in no time at all – and often without warning - that purity of motive can quickly deconstruct into selfish motives and even start down the path toward personal pride. And then I’m back to the reality of the first part of the verse recognizing that “I haven’t learned all I should.”

My devotions continued.

You need more than faith; you must also work hard to be good, and even that is not enough. For then you must learn to know God better and discover what he wants you to do. Next, learn to put aside your own desires so that you become patient and godly, gladly letting God have his way with you. This will make possible the next step, which is for you to enjoy other people and to like them, and finally you will grow to love them deeply.”

Wow! Those verses really hit home.

  • I need more faith. Check.
  • I must work hard. Yep.
  • I need to know God better and better. Oh, so true!
  • I need to keep seeking His will. Yes, Lord.
  • I need to put aside my desires, so my patience and Godly character can grow. That’s tough.
  • I need to then take the next step. The next step?
  • To enjoy other people and to like them. Enjoy and like? Some are easier than others, Lord.
  • So that I can grow to love them deeply. Only by God’s grace!

Oh to be able to work daily toward those goals with a pure motive, strength of character, perseverance, grace and humility. I am no better than any other. I am only saved by God’s grace. I need Him daily to teach me and guide me. 

I have so much more to learn, Lord. Give me the desire to learn and grow in you. The ability to see others as you see them. To love the unlovable. To show mercy to those you bring along my path. To stay diligent in my pursuit of your will and yet patient as I wait for you to help me take the next step in faith and love.

Today and in the New Year…

“My prayer for you is that you (and I) will overflow more and more with love for others, and at the same time keep on growing in spiritual knowledge and insight.”

What has God been trying to teach you lately? Are you ready to trust Him and keep learning?





(Paraphrased References: Philippians 3:12, 2 Peter 1:5-7, Philippians 1:9)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?