Pink Sparkles

She was dressed in pink – sparkly, velvety pink. The cuffs on her sleeves were a band of white fur as was the trim on the bottom edge of her dress. She was missing her shoes, but her little toes were kept warm with her stockings. I held her, she cuddled. I changed her, she smiled. I laid her in the crib, she made sweet noises.

‘I would have missed this, Lord.’ This little blessing dressed in snuggly pink and sparkling with life. I could have so easily missed this blessing. ‘Thank you, Lord, for allowing me to hold this precious little infant this morning!’

Mary’s baby wasn’t dressed in pink sparkles, but I wonder if she too had a moment when she looked into the eyes of Jesus and thought, ‘I could have missed this, Lord.’ Mary’s obedience to the call of God on her life held a tremendously significant role in history and had an irreversible impact on humanity. My obedience, however, to help care for this sweet child took minimal time and effort. Both babes needed someone to care for them. One, the Savior of the world. One, an infant in need of a Savior.

Who will this little girl be? Will she come to know you as Savior? What part will I possibly play in her life or in the life of her family? All these questions swifltly run through my mind even while I know that I might never hold her again.

For these few brief moments our paths crossed. I had a simple choice – a gift of my time sacrificed - so that this little one’s mother could attend the worship hour. I thought I was the one giving a gift, but in fact I was given a gift. Perhaps that is what Jesus was getting at when he taught that “it is more blessed to give than to receive.” (Acts 20:35). When we give to others, we sacrifice our own personal agenda, time, energy or money. The principle is easy to follow. We should be selfless rather than selfish. Sharing our resources to benefit others is of much greater value than any gift we may hope for and receive. The amazing paradox about giving to others is that we too can receive a blessing in return - when we give with the right spirit! 

This Christmas and into the New Year, may we each practice the art of simple sacrifice and giving. May we open our eyes to see the blessings that God has waiting for us each day – and grasp them. Not out of greed, but out of anticipation and faith. May we be obedient to God's call on our lives in big and small ways. May we enjoy the blessing of love that God has waiting for us to discover each day, and may we always hold dear to our hearts the gift of our Savior!

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6

Merry Christmas!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?