What If God Sent You A Marco Polo?


Recently, my daughter sent me a short video (via Marco Polo) of a beautiful sunset at a lake where she was vacationing. Earlier that day, I’d received several other fun videos from my other girls. They may have been scattered all over the country, but they were having fun sharing special moments with each other – and me. I’m grateful to be on their group Marco Polo now so that I get to see and hear their enthusiasm!

This simple – and nearly instant – way to connect got me thinking. “If I received a Marco Polo message from God, what would He send me?”

Something a bit silly and thought-provoking? Maybe a glimpse of Balaam’s donkey when he saw the angel and pressed tighter into the mountain pass squeezing Balaam’s leg? And, maybe he’d even let me in on the conversation between donkey and master? Wouldn’t that be amazing! (If you’re not familiar with this story, see Numbers 22:21-28.)

Maybe God’s message would be a sweet love note like the one in Jeremiah 31:3b – “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.” A message of love and kindness in an unloving and unkind world. Wouldn’t that be a welcome reminder anytime of the day?

Some days, He might just send a quick video. A picture of someone worrying. Maybe even a picture of me worrying. But, He would say to me - “Why do you worry?” After all, Can you add a single hour to your life with your worrying” (Matthew 6:27-28a). I think that message would cause me to send a Marco Polo back to God telling Him all about what was worrying me and asking Him to carry those burdens for me.

Maybe God would send a video of the stars and moon from His perspective, contrasted with our limited view, emphasizing the truths found in Psalm 19:1 - “The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands.”

Or, what if God sent a video of all the sea creatures, from the deepest depths, that He created - but that scientists haven’t yet discovered? “Praise the Lord from the earth, you great sea creatures and all ocean depths.” Psalm 148:7

Almost beyond my comprehension would be to receive an unexpected video of God and me nestled together. A mini-movie of God quieting me with His love and rejoicing over me with song like Zephaniah 3:17 portrays - “The LORD your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.”

What kind of Marco Polo message would you like to receive from God today? Have you told Him your joys and desires, your fears and disappointments? Have you trusted Him to carry your worries and cares? Do you listen for Him to speak words of blessing and love over you each day?

Many of us are a bit too busy to hear the tender (or tough) messages of our Heavenly Father encouraging us on in life and faith. Oh, we know He’s there, but we’re waiting for a better time so that we can really concentrate and pray, right? The question is: “How long have you been waiting for that better time?”

Maybe it’s finally time to slow down and listen. Breathe in the truths found in God’s life-giving words – no matter how tired you are! There are so many things that demand our time, but I’m guessing that you really don’t want to miss out on what God has for you. Take a moment now…and maybe even take a moment later on. He loves you. He misses you.

Send Him a special message. I know He'll smile and listen!

“Most of us are blessed by experiences in which the love of God is made real for us. Our problem is that we are not paying attention, and therefore miss the blessing of discovering the intimate presence of God in our everyday lives.” (Howard L. Rice)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?