Right Lens, Wrong Focus?

In the midst of COVID-19 precautions and the childcare predicaments of ‘essential workers,’ I have taken up partial responsibility for watching one set of our grandchildren until the ‘stay-at-home’ guidelines have been lifted. My typical daily routine has changed drastically. No doubt, your lifestyle has been impacted pretty dramatically as well! My new normal on weekdays includes getting up at 5:30 am to give myself a chance to wake up, get dressed and get out the door. (It's the earliest daily routine that I’ve ever had, come to think of it.) 
Upon arriving at my daughter's house, I find her finishing up her morning routine. Her husband is long gone to work, and the kids are usually still in bed. The house is quiet - except for a little whimper. In a matter of minutes, I hear metal click. Then, bounding out of the side room flies a bouncing puppy who is full of tail wags and enthusiastic greetings. While I would like to think that I'm the focus of all this spirited energy, I’m pretty sure it has more to do with this precious puppy’s rumbling tummy. It’s breakfast time!
Her food is inhaled in a matter of minutes, and then it’s time to scoot out the door. The only problem with this early morning ritual is that my feet keep getting soaked. I’ve worn sandals, and I’ve worn shoes. I’ve even brought extra shoes to wear in the house after my daily walk in the dew-soaked grass. By mid-morning, and after several ‘potty breaks,’ my shoes are inevitably drenched. So, I resorted to borrowing mismatched socks found in my daughter’s laundry room to warm my feet.
This routine has been repeating itself for four weeks, but just yesterday I had an epiphany of sorts!
Nothing had really changed in my ‘new normal,’ so how and why did this exciting discovery come into view? Well, at this particular moment, the puppy’s urges were obvious. She had to go out, but I knew that my waterlogged shoes would seep into my newly borrowed socks. What to do? The puppy was still waiting at the door, but I knew time was running out! So...I grabbed the nearest thing to me – my daughter’s mud boots.
Duh!
They’d been sitting by the back door, right in plain view, every day. Every. Single. Day. They’re even the kind of mud boots that catch your attention as you pass by. You know the ones. Covered in bright spring colors with flowers blooming all over them! In fact, each time I went in and out of the house (for four weeks now!) I admired them. So, why had I never put them on?
My focus was in the wrong place!
Oh, how easy it is for all of us to let our vision get skewed. We get focused in the wrong direction and on things that keep us from seeing clearly. The deeper insights of this ‘ah ha’ moment became crystal clear to me this morning when I read Psalm 73:1-3 which says, “Surely God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart. But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold. For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.” This psalm continues on to actually describe the wicked in glowing terms: having “no struggles,” and being “free from burdens.” But, this description is not “an objective account” as the NIV Bible Commentary shares. Rather, it is an overly “exaggerated picture that envious and trouble eyes perceived.”
Just as my eyes were not focused on the one thing that could actually help me out of my predicament (and one that was literally right in front of me!), we often allow our eyes to wander from God's truth. We allow an “exaggerated picture” of mistruth to enter our mind. We see the world through the 'troubled eyes' of fear. Our perceptions are not focused in on God’s view, through the lens of His sovereign power, grace and love.
Once my eyes had 'seen' the obvious solution to my problem, I was able to move ahead with confidence all throughout the day. Each time I ventured out into the soggy grass, I donned these newly treasured boots and enjoyed walking in warmth and comfort. This same warmth and comfort can be mine when I put my confidence in God's perspective. Because He covers me, I do not need to give into the worldly dread of the unknown, and fear has no place in my life. 
When I choose to view life through God’s perfect lens, I am able to confidently stand in Him alone. He is the One that can give me a truly strong foothold that can withstand the uncertainties of life on this earth. God promises to give light to the eyes and joy to the heart. So, keep your eyes on Him and your focus in on the promises found in God’s Word as you take the next step each day into our ever-changing world.
“The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes.” Psalm 19:8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?