What Was Paul’s Secret?


Just like the Apostle Paul, our world is not simple and our faith journey is not easy. Paul had good days, and Paul had bad days. I can’t even imagine all that he went through being imprisoned, shipwrecked and more! But, he says in Philippians 4:11 that he has “learned to be content whatever the circumstances.” Often, when we hear those words, we somehow think, “Well, Paul was basically a saint, right? But, I’m all over the place - totally fine with where God has me one minute, and in the next moment I’m ready to jump ship!” 

Paul assures us that it is possible to be content, though. So, how can that be our reality? Our clue is in the next verse (12) where he takes his contentment statement one step further. He says “I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation.” How can a man who has lost his freedom and is confined to an extended time of imprisonment say this? Because...

He has learned the secret of being content and it is possible in any and every situation!

In life, my contentment factor has been a roller coaster - likely as yours has been. The reality of being a pastor's wife brought some new challenges to light early on in our marriage. Normal life meant that we walked with our church family through the celebrations and heartaches of life. Faced with navigating the heartache of death quite frequently, my husband and I found ourselves talking about end-of-life matters at an early stage in our marriage. The discussion of what would I do and where would I go if something happened to my husband began when our girls were very young.

From the very beginning of our marriage, we lived in homes provided by the church family. The best part about that arrangement is that we instantly had a place to call home even though we didn’t have any money. The difficult part about that reality was that if my husband died young, I would not only be grieving him and consoling my daughters, but I would also have to face the loss of our home. “Where would we go, what would I do?”

Early on, those answers were pretty simple - the girls and I would just move back home with my parents until I could get reestablished in life. But as the years flew by, the question arose again. The girls were older, my father had passed away and my mother had moved into a small apartment. So, when my husband gently brought up the topic again - “So, have you thought about what you would do if something happened to me?” - my instant response wasn't at all what he'd expected, and it took him off guard.

“Yes, I have a plan.”

He replied, “Oh yeah?”

“Yep, I figure since I'll need a place to live as well as an income, I’d try to get a job as a Resident Assistant or Director in a girl’s dorm at a Christian College. That way, I’d have an income, a place to live, and I could love, encourage and invest in young people.”

Surprised, my husband replied, “Wow! I didn’t know you had all that planned out. I don’t know if I should be worried or not!”

We laughed together and continued about our day. We didn’t know what God had in store for our future, but my husband felt a little better about the fact that I had a possible plan, and the rest of our future we’d have to leave in God’s hands.

Life wasn’t always that simple though. There was a time period where I wasn’t content or comfortable with where I was headed and what the future might hold. It was a time when I was having some health issues, and the doctors didn’t know how serious it was. During those very unsettling weeks of testing, I had to come face to face with my death - rather than considering what I would do if my husband died.

My imagination went a little wild while considering my own mortality. Of course, I didn’t want to die, but that wasn’t the biggest issue on my mind. Years ago, I’d come to terms with the fact that if something happened to me, my husband would likely remarry. (…but that’s a whole different story!) Where my heart cried out for answers to God was “Who will raise my girls? For days, I was on a roller coaster of emotions. “Can I trust God?” “I don’t want another woman to raise my girls, Lord.” “Maybe all my worry is for nothing.” “I can deal with the fact that my husband might remarry, but the girls, Lord. The girls!” My world had been rocked, and I was no longer content to trust the Lord with my life. I was at a crossroad.  How can I be content in my future not knowing what was ahead of me? Can contentment really be found in and through Christ alone?

Not only did Paul say that we can be content in any and all circumstances that God places us in, but he reminds us that God is able to meet all our needs. When we are lacking in resources, Christ’s resources are endless. God always provided for Paul’s needs. He was a real man, in a real jail, separated from those he loved. What Paul’s lonely, uncomfortable and secluded circumstances couldn’t take away was the fact that God was able. In verse 19 Paul proclaims this truth in his life and assures the church in Philippi that they too can experience this grace - “And my God will supply all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” Nothing is too big for God! No need is too great. God’s resources and love for us are abundant and endless. But Paul doesn’t stop there.

In Philippians 4:13, Paul states that he has learned to “do everything through Christ who gives [him] strength.” This statement isn't a motivational mantra as many have turned it into - simply heralding the thought that "You Can Do It!" No, Paul was saying that regardless of the situation we find ourselves in (good or bad, comfortable or uncomfortable), Christ is our true source of strength. Contentment is ultimately found in our commitment to who we will serve and where we will find our strength.

While dealing with my health issues, the only way that I found my way back to peace and contentment in life was by choosing to commit my life back into God’s hands. I chose to  trust Him to do what He knew was best for me, as well as for my husband and my girls. If it was best to take me home to heaven, so be it. If my husband got remarried, that’s okay too. And, if God provided another lady to help raise our girls, I could trust Him to find the best one to do that. In submitting to God’s will, I didn’t have to worry what a ‘new mom’ might be like, because if God asked me to walk a path of death for myself – or for my husband - I could trust Him to be in control. I had found Paul's secret and Christ's strength to make a way for our family that would bring Him glory.

The secret in finding true contentment is not a hard one, but it does require a choice and a commitment. Paul shares that the secret to contentment can be learned and that it is not dependent on our own resources. Paul’s circumstances didn’t define him, but they did expose the need we all have to rely on Christ’s strength to be alive and active in our lives. 

Are you willing to embrace the secret and believe that in trusting Christ, and God’s will for your life, you can truly find inner contentment, strength, joy and peace?



yokemates.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?