These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things


Every other summer, our Women’s Ministry sponsors a Secret Sister outreach. We swap names and a list of our favorites – and try to keep it anonymous until our Reveal Party in the early fall. We keep it simple. One gift per month valued at no more than $5, cards any time and prayer as much as possible! It’s so fun to see the gifts come and go each week and the excitement that builds as the summer months keep passing. Who is my secret sister? Hmmm…

A bit embarrassing to admit, but two years ago the lady I was giving gifts to confessed that early on in the summer she knew exactly who her Secret Sister was. I couldn’t believe it! I thought I’d been so careful not to leave a clue. So, I asked her, “What gave me away?” She grinned and said “The reused gift bag that still had a name label on it with one of your kid’s names.” Oh my! That’s a dead giveaway, huh? We had a good laugh together, and I encouraged her with how much I enjoyed praying for her over the past weeks.

Sometimes the things we list as favorites get misunderstood or twisted just a bit. Over the years, I have always listed Milk Chocolate as my favorite type of chocolate. Unfortunately, rumor had it – for about five years - that I LOVED dark chocolate. That rumor was a hard one to stop. But, I’m glad to report that just last week I received a cute little gift bag with milk chocolates inside. Yum!

We all have favorites, and comparing notes with others about our likes and dislikes is always fun. Here are a few other of my favorites that come to mind.

Favorite color – blues (and yellow)
Favorite soda – Diet Coke
Favorite flavor at Starbucks – caramel anything
Favorite store – Michaels or Hobby Lobby
Favorite dish at Olive Garden - alfredo
Favorite season of the year – spring
Favorite fast food french fries – McDonalds
Favorite pizza crust – hand tossed

How about you? When’s the last time you enjoyed comparing favorites with a friend or co-worker. The conversation could even spark a desire to treat your friend to their favorite snack some day when they least expect it! Just make sure you heard them right. You don’t want to get their favorite confused with someone else’s…like my dark chocolate fiasco!

Another favorite list that I was just recently asked about was this, “Do you have any favorite books about ministry?” My answer was, "I sure do!" and I thought I’d share some of those with you today too.

Leadership/Personal Growth Books Geared Specifically To Women
  1. “Leading & Loving It” by Wilhite & Wilson
  2. “Renewal on the Run” by J Briscoe
  3. “The Power of a Praying Wife” by S Omartian
  4. “Refreshing Your Soul” by J Briscoe
  5. “Here I am, Lord...Send Somebody Else” by J Briscoe
  6. “Keep It Shut” by K Ehman

Church Leadership
  1. “Well-Intentioned Dragons” by M Shelley
  2. “Old Paths, New Power” by D Henderson
  3. “Canoeing the Mountains, Christian Leadership in Uncharted Territory” by T Bolsinger
  4. “Don't Waste Your Life” by J Piper
  5. “The 21 Irrefutable  Laws of Leadership” by J Maxwell
  6. “Developing the Leader Within You” by J Maxwell  

Personal Growth
  1. “Brokenness” by N DeMoss
  2. “Being the Body” by C Colsonn
I’m sure there are more, but these are the ones that are either long-time favorites (like 25+ years) or are pretty hot off the press. Perhaps, you have a few books you’d like to recommend adding to this list. If so, I’d love to know your favorites as well!

“As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.” Proverbs 27:17

God made us each one-of-a-kind, and I celebrate with you today in our unique desires and differences. Have a great week, and enjoy one of your favorites with a friend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?