In All I Do, I (Hope) To Honor You!



As I knelt down to layer the towels needed at the edge of the baptismal pool, I heard these words playing over the sanctuary sound system - "In all I do, I honor you." (Wow. I wasn't expecting that this morning, God.) I was just doing my 'Martha' duty and had a 'Mary' moment. How cool is that!

In that brief moment, my outlook for the whole day changed. I went from having a good attitude – no problems to speak of, just a normal Sunday morning – to having a God-honoring attitude. Instead of just doing what needed to be done, I was awakened to the opportunity before me. I chose to honor God, no matter how menial the task.

Yes, towels needed to be put down to soak up any excess water.

But, more importantly, towels needed to be put down – to honor Jesus!

I’d like to think that I live my life in the attitude of the song that was playing that morning - ‘You Are My King’ by Chris Tomlin. But, I need to rethink that. Oh, I have my good days and my not-so-good days. I may even have some bad days from time to time. But, God-honoring days. How many of those do I have?

What does it mean to honor God “in all I do,” anyway?

First, I found this definition of honor - “To grant a person a position of respect and even authority in one's life…an internal attitude of respect, courtesy, and reverence…accompanied by appropriate attention or even obedience.” (Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology)

As my search continued, I found a great resource at liftupjesus.com. In the article, the author shared this fun and practical list of ways that we can honor God each and every day.

Honor God – with your TIME
Life is brief and our days are numbered, but we are asked to take each day and “make the most of every opportunity” by letting our conversations “be always full of grace and seasoned with salt.” (Colossians 4:5-6) In the busyness of life, we need to make time for interruptions and opportunities that God gives us to honor Him by blessing others.

Honor God – with your TALENTS
We have each been given special gifts and abilities to serve God as well as to bless and strengthen others. We are to use those talents to “equip the saints for works of ministry” and “to build up the body of Christ.” (Ephesians 4:12) What hidden talents need to be rediscovered in your life?

Honor God - with your TEMPLE
If we could only discipline ourselves to exercise daily, eat healthy, get a decent dose of rest and remain sexually pure. It’s easy to neglect our physical bodies, but we must remember that we were “bought at a price” and our bodies are not our own, but are the temple of God’s Spirit. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)

Honor God - with your TREASURE
Jesus reminds us that “where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” (Matthew 6:21) So, who are we honoring with our wealth and possessions today? Are we self-absorbed treasure seekers or are we generous stewards of all that God has entrusted into our care? The best treasures in life are those that can live eternally in heaven with us!

Honor God - with your TICKER
With every beat of our heart, we have the opportunity to make God number one in our lives. Isaiah 29:13 warned that “These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.” Lip service doesn't cut it. Our heart must be committed. When we choose to daily make God the Lord of our life, not just with words but by our actions, He is honored.  

In all I do, Lord, help me to honor You. 

...because "You are My King!"





*For more resources like this, visit yokemates.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?