Trusting In God’s Presence and Timing!

From our earliest days, we tend to enjoy living life according to our own personal timeline – and according to our personal preferences. Just think of when we were little babies. We had it made! We ate when we wanted to, slept wherever and whenever it was convenient, and we got to explore a new and amazing sounds and textures nearly every day! Plus, we got lots and lots of attention, oodles of cuddles and much adoration. Other than the occasional gas bubble, our first year of life was pretty sweet! 

We then became toddlers and life changed. The day’s agenda rarely revolved around us anymore. More and more disgusting foods appeared on our plates or on that crazy “airplane fork” that somehow mesmerized us into eating our leftovers. Soon, we find ourselves rushed onto the potty chair at the most random times and are daily required to instantly take a nap during play time. It’s just not fair!

How can it be that no matter how old we get we still struggle – at least at times - living under the agenda of someone else, namely God. We’d like our job promotion quicker, our friend to be healed immediately and our bank balance to increase weekly. But, life doesn’t usually work that way. Rather than developing our spiritual fruit of patience, peace and faithfulness we jump to the conclusion that God must not be listening to our pleas. After all, if He heard us, He would jump on board with our plans, right?

Yet, Isaiah 55:8-9 reminds us that God’s got it under control. “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Because God’s ways are beyond our comprehension we can rest in Him and trust His timing and His ways to be perfect – even though we live in a world that is not perfect.

Trusting God’s timing is a practice in both patience and faith.

God’s incredible timing was evidenced through a simple errand to the local post office this week. I had debated about mailing the letter later in the day, but decided I’d get some fresh air for a few minutes. As soon as I entered the building, I greeted a man from our church. He beamed and replied, “I prayed for God to bring me someone that would make me happy, and He brought me you!” And, I thought I was just mailing a letter. Hmmm. Something tells me that God was in my restlessness and brought me inside the post office that day – at just the right time – instead of simply dropping the letter into the outside mailbox. I had no clue that God was planning to use me to bless this sweet man, who in turn, humbled and blessed me!

Later in the week, my husband and I were going on an ‘official date.’ Those are rare! A friend had made a way for us to be spoiled at a fancy restaurant about an hour from our home. We even dressed up for the occasion – because it was required! We headed out and into a pretty major rain storm. On he way, we saw a gorgeous double rainbow, and I snapped a few pictures to try to catch the fact that it ended right before us on the road. I remember wanting to show my husband the pictures, but I refrained since the roads were a bit treacherous. After cresting a mountain that is known for horrible fog, we saw a truck with flashing lights on the right side of the interstate. The next thing I knew there were multiple cars braking and swerving all over the road ahead of us. My husband slammed on his brakes and stopped without hitting any cars. I looked in my side view mirror in time to see the car behind us stop within inches of our bumper, but then I got a glimpse of the car behind her – and it didn’t stop. A domino effect, double rear-end collision unfolded. No one was injured, and it could have been so much worse. God’s intervention? I have no doubt!

We called the restaurant, informed them of the situation and told them that we wouldn't be able to make our dinner reservation. Eventually the interstate was cleared of all the emergency personnel, the tow trucks headed out with damaged vehicles on board and all the necessary paperwork was completed for the State Troopers. Since the only damage to our vehicle was on the bumper, we turned around at the next exit and went back to a more casual dining experience. We were overdressed – and got a few double takes - but we enjoyed an evening out together celebrating God’s grace in our lives and in the lives of the others who were on the mountain with us.

We don’t always have the luxury of happy endings. That’s the reality of life. However, we do always have the luxury of God’s perfect timing and will being a part of our life plan each and every day. We just need to make sure we’re watching for Him in the simple moments and in the more dramatic ones. He is present and He cares.  
  
“The Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.” Psalm 121:8b



yokemates.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?