A Godly Woman – Who Me?


It’s that time of year again – Mother’s Day. This honorable celebration can bring up feelings of melancholy or sweet memories. Tears and laughter. 

But, what if I took it a step further and brought up the Proverbs 31 Woman? Would you instantly feel panic rising within and look for a place to hide? Do you hear yourself cry out inside “Oh no, not her! I don’t need any more guilt or pressure to perform.” Or, do you have days when you actually feel pretty good about where you are in life, until you start comparing. The Proverbs 31 Woman seems to have it all together, and we console ourselves that “She’s just too good to be true.” But, what if I told you that you and I are often living the life of the Proverbs 31 Woman. Yep, both you and me. By God's grace, it’s true!

I believe the Proverbs 31 Woman is actually reflective of a lifetime of loving, giving and serving. Not a snapshot of one day. After all, each day carries its own burdens. Why would we think a Godly woman has to do it all, fit it all in and finish it all up - every day?  (Talk about exhausting!) To help shed any misplaced guilt and misperceived expectations, I created a little paraphrase - a very loose paraphrase - of what the Proverbs 31 Woman might look like today. My prayer is that you will see yourself in a new light. Give yourself some credit where credit is due and trust God to carry you into the areas where you may need a little extra boost of encouragement today. 

So, here goes…

I don’t know if I measure up, God. I surely can’t keep up with everything that’s thrown at me from week to week, and I can’t even tell you how many times I ‘lost it’ recently. Is it in me to be a godly woman, a woman of noble character, a woman of excellence?

I try my hardest to take good care of my family every day even though I am distracted from time to time. I speak words of truth into their lives. I love them and speak those words aloud and for all to hear. I do my best to show them how much they mean to me, how proud I am of them and that I'll always be there for them.

I do my best to keep up with the housework, meet the demands and deadlines at work, volunteer at church, take care of my parents, lend a hand to the neighbor - and give kisses to ‘boo boos’ and hugs to my hubby. I may not grow vegetables in my own garden, but I do bring home some delicious food each week – whether our favorite carry-out splurge, from the grocery store or courtesy of the local farmer’s market. There’s always something to eat – and usually something nutritious too!

I’ve had my share of late nights and early mornings, that’s for sure. Switching laundry, making lunches, checking homework, doing dishes and paying bills. Sometimes, I not only read my email, but I even get to reply or send a special “Thinking of You” card to a friend. Moments alone are rare, but once in a while I sneak in a late night snuggled up with a book or Hallmark movie. To just have a moment or two where nobody needs me is sweet bliss!
   
I do my best to be a team player even if I can’t be at every event or ball game. I donate refreshments, offer a ride to a friend, lend a listening ear and get my work done as efficiently as I can. I love to help others succeed, but try to keep things balanced so that I can keep going strong. Life’s not a sprint, but a marathon, you know.

I get excited when I find a bargain and see God’s blessing on my life. (It’s amazing how He can stretch things for our finances!) I work hard and try to be the best wife, mom and friend that I can be. I try to eat right (well, most of the time) and get exercise. I may not have a membership at the gym, but I’ve climbed up and down the stairs innumerable times today. Does that count? It sure seems like I got plenty of ‘steps’ in for the day even though I don’t have a Fitbit counting for me.

I have found creative ways to turn a profit. Craigslist, Facebook and Ebay all have had their place in my life. And maybe someday I’ll even get creative – and organized enough - to set up a store with Etsy. Ah yes, it’s merely a dream for now. So, I’ll make sure to deposit my paycheck, whisper a prayer of thanks and see if I have the energy to gather together enough things for a yard sale some day!
   
I dig through closets, attic and innumerable tubs and totes to search out the next season’s clothes. I carry donations into charity shops and share what I can with friends and neighbors in need. I make do with what I have and watch the sale ads to replace the things that have seen their better days. Or better yet, I’ll yard sale, comb the online bargains and even take a moment when dropping off donation items to take a peek around the store. I might find just what I am looking for!

I love to bless my husband and children, and I do my best to make them proud. I speak well of those I love even though I know their weaknesses and they know mine. I ask for forgiveness and try my best to forgive in kind. I know what harm a wagging, nagging tongue can do, so I often keep my mouth shut and pray. God’s much better at changing things – in His time and in His way!

I try hard not to over react when bad news comes my way. “God’s got this!” I say. And, then – I pray and pray and pray. In my loneliest moments, I look for ways to encourage others and bring some brightness into their day. I love my family as best as I can – whether near or far away. And, oh how I love that airplanes, cell phones, Skype and Facetime can melt the miles in no time at all!

I sometimes dream of the days when my work is done, but hope that doesn’t happen for many years to come. I love my life – the good and bad – and trust that I am making a difference in this world we’ve been given. A perfect example of a godly woman I may not be, but I am trying to learn about, laugh with and love what God has given me!

Proverbs 31:30 - "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."



yokemates.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?