Are you listening to the still small voice of God?

Rick Gray, missionary to Uganda, confessed that he is often tempted to succumb to the whispers of the Evil One’s “accusing, dark and destructive suggestions:"
  • You are too busy to pray. 
  • You will probably fail in ministry. 
  • Your heart will never change, and neither will the hearts of the people [you serve].

He continues, "But there is another, much softer voice that I hear far too little. He longs for me to take to heart his words:"
  • You really only need to do one thing – stay close to me.
  • Your worth depends on my blood that bought you, never on what you do. 
  • The ministry [before you] is about me, and its effectiveness depends on me, not you.
  • I am changing your heart as my beloved son, and I am also changing the hearts of my dear children [right where you are].
Just like Rick, we also hear the contrasting voices that are vying for our attention. So, who are you quicker to listen to - the taunts of the Evil One or the encouragement of the Holy Spirit? When the accusing voice of Satan becomes louder and louder, what do you do to drown him out or to send him away from your presence?

Rick says the solution he has found to work best is “not to adjust the volume control but to change the station I listen to! It seems like I’ve been stuck on a frequency blaring the same old deceit over and over again. I’ve listened to this trash station for so long, I’ve forgotten that I have a choice. I can move the dial! Instead of listening to a cacophony of anxiety, contempt and despair, I can listen to the voice of love, peace, and hope.”

When we live in the love, peace and hope of Christ we are much more likely to stay close to our Savior. Our perspective on life changes drastically as we trade our inward-focused fears for the hope secured through the power of Jesus’ blood. We must daily choose to embrace the truth that God is still in control. We must grow beyond the ‘microwave mentality' that demands results – now! We want our church to grow – now! We want our husband (or kids) to change – now! We want, we want, we want.

To determine if we are caught in the trap of Satan’s lies, let's reflect a moment on the same lies the Evil One put before Rick.

Lie #1 - You are too busy to pray.

Or, maybe too distracted? Why is it so much easier to call or text a friend, than to spend time in prayer? I’m definitely guilty of not praying as often as I should. Some days I’m more successful than others, but I need to listen to - and obey - the voice of God as He reminds me to “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Lie #2 - You will probably fail in ministry to ____________ (insert the name of your church, ministry or loved one).”

We are not called to be successful by the world’s standard, but rather to be obedient and faithful to our Savior. (Remember the parable of the talents in Matthew 25?)

Lie #3 - Your heart will never change, and neither will the hearts of the people in ______________ (insert the name of your church or your community).”

God is in the business of changing hearts – ours and others! In Ezekiel 11:19-20 we learn that God “will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; [He] will remove…their heart of stone…[so that] they will follow [His] decrees and be careful to keep [His] laws. They will be [God's] people, and [He] will be their God.”

God has called us to be a part of His family, but we can only enjoy the fullness of His grace when we listen, and respond, to His voice calling us to truth.

“You really only need to do one thing – stay close to me.”

What is the key to staying closer to God? James puts it this way, “Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you.” James 4:7-8

Always remember that “Your worth depends on [Christ’s] blood that bought you, never on what you do.”

We must learn to focus our minds onto God’s grace and power working in and through us. “The ministry [I have called you to] is about me, and its effectiveness depends on me, not you.”

Entrusting all that we hold dear to our Heavenly Father knowing that He is “changing your heart as my beloved [daughter], and…the hearts of my dear children in ________________ (insert the name of your church).”

God is able, and we must become more and more faithful to the Almighty One in whom we serve!

“He [Abraham] did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised.” Romans 4:20-21

Are you fully persuaded to listen to the still small voice of God?



(Quotes taken from Nothing Is Impossible With God by Rose Marie Miller) 


yokemates.blogspot.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?