Why Worry When You Can Pray?

Seems like a simple question, doesn’t it? It’s a solid, Biblical concept. A logical solution to an ongoing problem in our lives. So, why do we allow ourselves to get so stressed out at times? After all, “Can any one of us add a single hour to our lives by worrying?” (my paraphrase of Matthew 6:27) Definitely not! In fact, the complete opposite is true. We are likely shortening our lives with the anxiety we allow to consume us from time to time.

Just this past Monday, I was asked to make a simple phone call. What I didn’t realize was that this call would plunge me into a sea of ‘red tape.’ Plus, I was working with a tight timeline - everything needed to be completed by Friday. Other than calling every day to check on the progress of things, there was little else I could do - except to worry or pray. As the week progressed, I had to continually choose to pray and to speak kindly to those who were able to bring our desired goal into reality and on time!

Paul encouraged the Philippians to “not be anxious about anything” (Philippians 4:6). He actually goes as far as saying that we can talk to God about anything! “In every situation” and “with thanksgiving” we are to share our hearts with our Heavenly Father. That is a powerful statement! God cares about every situation in our life. Nothing is too small to share with Him, and nothing is too big for Him. Was my issue this week a big thing? No, not in the scope of life. Was it important to get done? Yes, and a timely solution would definitely be a positive thing.

So, on Friday morning, when I got word that all was well - boy, did I rejoice “with thanksgiving”! In fact, I think my excitement actually betrayed how much underlying worry was behind my prayers. I had tried to squelch the anxiety, and by God’s grace it had not overtaken me. What a relief it was to get untangled from that mess. Thank you, Lord! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

According to USA Today, the top fears of 2016 included - 
  • Corruption of government officials
  • Terrorism
  • Financial issues
  • Restrictions on firearms and ammunition
  • Death or serious illness of loved ones
  • Identity theft
  • Health insurance

Now, I have to admit that my worries and fears this week were nothing as dire as the topics on this list, but it still took up a lot of my energy this week. And, I can’t even imagine what it is like to live life without the confidence that God is in control! What a blessing, and sweet peace, can be found by completely putting our trust in Him for all that comes our way – big or small!

So, what have you been tempted to worry about lately?

Take a few moments to prayerfully consider what burdens you are trying to carry that can be given over to God right now. God loves you and wants to take all your anxiety and stress off of your shoulders. Will you trust Him with your fears? It’s your choice. After all, why should any of us worry, when we have the gift of prayer!

“Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”  1 Peter 5:7

“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.” Psalm 56:3

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6

(Resource referenced - USAToday.com, October 12, 2016)

yokemates.blogspot.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?