Bright Ideas

Have you ever had a bright idea that you shared with a friend or with your husband that just didn’t seem to get the reaction you were hoping for? I sure have, and it is a true let down. How could that awesome idea have landed so flat? Did I just not explain it well? Did they even hear what I said?

What is even more confusing – and sometimes infuriating – is when someone else shares that very same idea a few weeks later and it is received with excitement and accolades. Inside you hear that little voice saying “Why do they get the credit and not me?” It is a strange phenomenon that most of us have experienced from time to time.

So, what made the difference?
  • Perhaps, it was just the timing of the conversation.
  • Perhaps, the days or weeks between the idea sharing allowed some pondering to take place.
  • Perhaps, they really didn’t hear your idea – or really listen to it – because they were distracted, tired or just weren’t ready to process any more information at that time.

After you get over the initial disappointment of being looked over and underappreciated, there is a great silver lining that I don’t want you to miss. Yep! The exciting thing is that your husband (friend or coworker) has finally ‘seen the light’ and has embraced your idea – even if you don’t get the credit for it. After all, does it really matter whose idea it was? The point is – if you had a good idea and it is now being acted on – it’s a win for all involved!

When I learned this principle in life, I was able to let go of my personal disappointment (in not being heard) and jump on board with the plan. My team player mindset increased and that sneaky pest of pride was squelched before it blew things out of proportion. I was able to embrace humility and appreciate God’s timing and plan.
  • It is sweet when I feel heard.
  • It is refreshing when I feel appreciated.
  • It is rewarding when my ideas are acknowledged.

But, that isn't always reality.

What is scary to face is that when I have an idea that I am excited to share with others, I have no preconceived dreams of any praise that I may receive. I’m just excited about the idea - a possible solution to a problem. However, when I’m not heard or acknowledged, I can struggle with my emotions. Getting my "flesh" to get in line with my spirit takes a few minutes of contemplation and a reminder of the truths found in Philippians 2:3-4 which challenges us all to “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.” That says it all.

My idea, your idea, it really doesn’t matter. If it really is a good idea, it is very likely God’s idea...and He deserves all the praise!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?