What Are You Waiting For?

Passing by a neighborhood church, I quickly read their sign. This time the message caused me to pause and absorb its truth. It said “Waiting on God is Never Wasted Time!” Wow! I needed those wise words of counsel. I don’t usually have an issue waiting in a doctor’s office, waiting in the Wal-Mart checkout line or waiting on hold for endless minutes (“You are the next in queue.”). However, there have been moments in life when the challenge I was facing seemed endless, and the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel was very dim.
 

Why don’t I mind waiting on the phone or at the doctor’s office. Well, for one thing I come prepared with paperwork to do. When I make a phone call that I know will require more than five minutes on hold, I’ll prepare myself by finding something to do – folding laundry, doing dishes, or organizing piles of magazines, bills and papers. When I go to a doctor’s office, I bring note cards, office work or a book to keep me entertained while I wait. Why be bored, if I can get a few things off my ‘to do’ list for the day?


We live in a fast-paced, goal-driven society. However, I’m typically not in a hurry. So, why do I get anxious when waiting on God to answer my prayers? I trust Him. I really do. I want His will and His timing in all matters. And, typically I am at peace with the process. However, I do believe there are times when I allow myself to view the 'waiting' as empty and void of purpose. It just seems endless - the pain, the loneliness, the uncertainty of the future. In those times, I do pray for contentment, but the waiting can make me a bit weary of heart.
 
 
This little sign has really tugged on my heart this week and has reminded me that I can trust God’s timing – not just in my head but also in my heart! In my waiting on God, I can embrace the psalmist’s words, “Be still, and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10). God is in control, and nothing is too big for Him to handle. I can trust Him – and His timing!


So, whatever you may be waiting to change in your life - the process of waiting on God is truly not wasted time. Perhaps there is something God has for you to be doing while you wait on Him? Or, perhaps the wait simply provides an opportunity to put down deeper roots of faith in the Sovereign God. Regardless, God's timing is perfect and He can be trusted to end the waiting just at the right time. Our Almighty God is never late!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?