Simply Smile

Sometimes all our husbands need from us is a smile. It can really be just that simple.

In the early years of ministry there were times when I would ask my husband, “Do you want me to come today?” Typically, the event I was referring to would have been a funeral service, a wedding or a community event where he would be speaking. It was not uncommon for him to say, “Yes, at least there will be one smiling face in the crowd.” He wasn’t necessarily referring to a tough crowd or angry mob, but more to the support that he could find in the smile of someone who believed in him and who he knew would be praying for him.

Unexpected changes to my schedule in the early years were very challenging. We had three under the age of five. A change in plans meant that I went into “mommy mode” big time getting myself ready - as well as the girls. In the scramble to keep to my new schedule I had to find the missing coat, stash snacks in the diaper bag, grab some ‘quiet toys,’ make sure I had a few extra diapers, take care of the dog, find the shoe (that I swear was secured to a wiggly foot just seconds ago) and then hope that there was enough gas in my car to get to where I was going – because nine times out of ten I was driving separately. Have you lived that scramble in life?

Even to this day, switching up my schedule can create a bit of havoc. It’s not as hard to adapt at a moment’s notice, but it also is not always a simple process. Each stage of life has its own demands and challenges and there are always lots of moving parts to get me to where I need to go. The dynamics of each situation just change from season to season.

So, why bother trying to please my husband in this way? 

The  better question: Why not? 

By being present - whether he asks me to be or not - I have a great opportunity to show him my love and feed the spirit of unity in our marriage. It is also a great way to stunt the enemy’s attempts to distract my husband with any doubts or insecurities he may be facing. After all, we all tend to rise to the occasion a bit higher and quicker when we have someone cheering us on. What a great way to share in the partnership of ministry together by simply offering a smile, the ministry of presence and a heartfelt prayer.

After all, Solomon teaches us that “Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves.” I want to be a source of warmth in my husband’s life. I want to help him do his best and encourage him along the way. I want to be his helper, his friend and his loyal companion. I want to be his wife and his partner in ministry. I want to share life together and to do so in the power and love of our Savior.

Simply sharing a smile can be one of the sweetest gifts to give. That, and a partnership with our Savior!

A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

When is the last time that you went out of your way to simply share a smile, a prayer and the ministry of presence with your husband?





Scripture taken from Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?