Remaining Teachable

I do love to learn new things and stretch myself, and I know how important it is to choose to remain teachable in life. Being teachable means that there will be ups and downs - because I don't know it all. I am naturally curious, and I particularly love to understand how things work. But, I do have my limits. There are moments and times when try as I might I just don’t "get it," and I've come to terms with that reality. The conclusion: I'll just ask the expert if needed! 

We may be intrigued with the idea of learning new things, but not think it’s worth the time, effort or money to take a class, enjoy a seminar or even consider the possibility of attending a conference just for fun! Who really has the brain power, after keeping up with the basic week’s calendar of activities, to actually enjoy learning something new? And, if we did get ourselves to a class or seminar what’s the probability that we could even stay awake. Ahhh…but that’s what lattes are for, my friend!

My challenge this week is to get you to start dreaming. 

  • What interests you - cooking, gardening, writing, photography? 
  • Would you rather attend something related to work or to your outside interests? 
  • Online or on-sight?  
  • Do you have access to any continuing education funds? 

How can you keep your mind growing, your interactions with others stretched a bit and your life a humble work in progress? What does God have around the corner for you? When is the last time you dared to dream about the future – or just get a good, solid dose of encouragement for the now?

Take time to ask God how teachable you are? It may just be in your relationships. It may be more academic. The point is, are you growing? Are you getting fed?

...and most importantly, are you growing in your knowledge of the Lord? Here are some great verses that help to remind me to stay teachable and to trust God’s timing in life. I trust that you will find some encouragement in the challenges He gives us to become wise in Godly things and to work hard at having a humble – and teachable – heart!

Proverbs 19:21 – “Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.”

Proverbs 9:9 – “Instruct the wise and they will be wiser still; teach the righteous and they will add to their learning.”

Proverbs 13:18 – “Whoever disregards discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honored.”

Proverbs 1:7 – “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.”

Wherever you are headed in life right now, ask God to help you to remain teachable and sensitive to His Spirit at work in your mind and heart.

...and if you think you might want to try an online or onsight conference this year, here’s a few I’ve attended or have dreamed of attending. Perhaps one of them might intrigue you – for now or in the future. One is even online and accessible with the click of a mouse!

Just One
Online Conference @ http://leadingandlovingit.com/equip/justone
This is a free 10-day conference for pastors' wives and women in ministry that features a variety of speakers and topics - and it is currently on Day 5 in this cycle! You can view it by email or app, anytime and anywhere! After the conference is over, you can access all the video clips from the current year for leadership training or personal encouragement. Plus, past years are accessible now at http://leadingandlovingit.com/equip/resources/other-resources
A ministry of Leading & Loving It
(This online resource I have enjoyed for several years - including this year!)

She Speaks
Annual Speaker/Writer Conference @ http://shespeaksconference.com
Held near Charlotte, North Carolina, each July.
This year it will be held from July 20-22 which is a Thursday-Saturday.
Note: More pricey than most ministry-related conferences, but worth the money if you’re headed into a possible future of writing or speaking.
A ministry of Proverbs 31
(This conference I attended about 3-4 years ago. I highly recommend it as well.)

Just Between Us
Conference for Pastors’ Wife and Women in Ministry
Monday-Wednesday, October 3-5, 2017
Held this year at a camp/conference center near Waukesha, Wisconsin
https://www.forestsprings.us/events/specialty-retreats/just-between-us-womens-conference
A ministry associated with Jill Briscoe
(This conference I've dreamed of attending for years, but my schedule never matched up with there's. I'm still hopeful as I love their ministry!)

Re:Treat 2017
An annual conference for Pastors’ Wives and Women in Ministry
It is held mid-week. This year from October 24-26 in Las Vegas (well, actually it’s held at a church in Henderson, Nevada) 
http://leadingandlovingit.com/connect/retreat
(This is a fairly new conference, and I keep watching the dates. I'm hopeful to possibly attend this year!)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?