Blessings in Disguise!

In ministry, much time and energy is spent building relationships in our church and in our community. Over time, barriers are broken and we start feeling like we have been accepted and totally fit in. A sense of community and new friendships are sweet!

Given a bit more time, ministry transplants eventually have to come to terms with the fact that they are still "outsiders" - no matter how long they have served in a church. The old saying that "blood is thicker than water" rises to the surface. It is in those moments that a missionary mindset must balance the sense of loss. We are called to love and serve a group of people, but in most cases we do come from a different "culture" and have hopefully been accepted and loved at one level or another.

It's easy to be saddened when you realize that you weren't invited to a birthday party, baby shower, craft show or girl's weekend away. After the initial pain and disappointment eases, however, I have often come face to face with the blessing God gave me in not being invited! The weekend getaway ended up including the girls giving into the temptation to bar hop - 'just to see what it is like.' The craft fair ended up being full of drama between vendors and guests. Hearing these types of stories - after the fact - I thank God for protecting me. I have enough drama in life and ministry!

If you struggle with rejection or feeling left out, there is a great book you might want to read. At first, I was put off by the title, but I agreed to walk through it with a friend. I'm so glad I checked it out. It has made for a great springboard toward thoughtful discussion and helped both of us to put our sometimes fickle emotions in check. What's the book? "Uninvited" by Lysa Terkeurst. Here's a taste to tempt you to take this journey in trusting God to walk before you each day.

"Imagine how differently you might approach each day by simply stating: God is good. God is good to me. God is good at being God. And today is yet another page in our great love story...I lay down my need to understand why things happen the way they do. I lay down my fears about others walking away and taking their love with them. I lay down my desire to prove my worth. I lay down my resistance to fully trust Your thoughts, Your ways, and Your plans, Lord." (Lysa)

Are you ready to see what God is up to behind the scenes of your life? The leap of faith is worth it because He loves you and wants the best for you each and every day!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?