It is a choice.

In my previous post, I spoke of the angel’s statement to Mary that "Nothing is impossible with God." (Luke 1:37). The reality of that truth can be applied to so many situations in life, but it hit home for me this week within the topic of forgiveness. 

Ugh! That again? I thought I’d learned how to love my enemies. I’ve walked this road before. I’ve seen God’s mighty hand making the impossible, possible. Forgiveness has come. But, here it was again staring me in the face. Was I holding a grudge? Was the grievance just in my imagination? Was I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Then today as I was finishing up the third book in a trilogy I had indulged in over the Thanksgiving week, I was struck again with conviction as I read the words of the main character as she struggled with the issue of forgiveness. Specifically, forgiveness with someone she was unable to speak with face to face. Her words are not exactly my thoughts, but I can totally relate.

“I forgive you. I mean…I’m still rather angry about some of the things you did and how you did them. I’m angry that you tried to control me rather than love me. But I forgive you. I don’t want to live life as a bitter woman. And so I choose to forgive you and move on.” (from ‘Glittering Promises’ by Lisa Beergren)

I too have chosen forgiveness. I don’t want to end up a bitter old woman. I want to move on. Do I understand all the relationship dynamics that can create barriers in life - and in faith? Definitely not. Should I grant unrequested forgiveness? Yes, that is key. It is a choice. It is an act of obedience.

“But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you.” Matthew 5:44 NJKV

Can I do it on my own? No. Only through the grace of God can I move on. Only with God’s power can I grant unrequested forgiveness. Only with God is the impossible, possible. Only through forgiveness can peace, healing and freedom be found.

Do you have anything that seems overwhelming and basically impossible to deal with? Is there anyone in your life who you need to grant forgiveness? I don’t comprehend how God takes our prayers for our enemies and turns them into healing for our heart, but I have experienced that miracle of grace over and over again through the years. What a gift!

No matter what your challenges are today, may you seek God’s hand of guidance and protection as you face your impossible situations – and trust God for the outcome. He is able!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make the Connection!

Overwhelmed, Underwhelmed or Simply Unmotivated

Bathroom Gymnastics?